REMEMBER: You can always click on (top right) to undo your last action.
1. Generate side lengths and height.
• Click on the New Dimensions button (and wait 2 secs).
2. Make the base of your parallelogram.
• Click on "Segment with given length from point" icon.
• Then click on the point A (it will glow) and In the box type the number of the base of your parallelogram. Hit Enter.
• Make this line blue, thick 4 and show its value - that is, right-click on the line, click on Properties and change the color to blue and the line thickness to 4 select "Show Label" and then click on the next to Name and select Value. Hit Enter.
We must make the side and height together!
3. First steps
• Click on "Line through 2 points" icon and then click on A and then on B.
• Click on "Circle with center and radius" icon. Click on B and then type in the value of the side of your parallelogram.
! Every point on this circle can be a side point -
we need to find the point at the correct height !
4. Second steps
• Click on "Point" icon. Click anywhere on the circle (it will glow). The point C will be drawn on the circle.
• Click on "Perpendicular line" and then click on C and then on the line AB.
• Right-click on the perpendicular and deselect "Show object".
• Click on "Segment through 2 points" icon and then click on C and then on D. Make this line dark red, thick 4, dashed and show its value - it must show its value!
This line is the height of the parallelogram!
5. Third steps
• Click on . Click on B and then C. Make this line red, thick 4, and show its value.
6. Draw the other 2 sides of the parallelogram.
• Click on "Parallel line" icon.
• Click on point C, then on line AB (to get top).
• Click on point A, then on line AC (to get leftt side).
7. Find the 4th vertex of the parallelogram. It is the intersection of the two lines we have just drawn.
top lineright side.
8. Close your parallelogram AECB.
• Click on . Click on A and then E. Click on E and then C.
9. Clean up
10. Play with your parallelogram.
• Click and drag point A. The parallelogram moves.
What happens when we click and drag points B or C?
Ahh! The height changes and it shouldn't since it is one of our original dimensions. This is not a good GeoGebra construction.
No worries - in the next activity we will fix this problem.
• Click on Reset to start over.